Your dog can only be added to the Index of Exempted Dogs (IED) following a court order - you cannot ask for your dog to be put on the register. You will find out how to get a 'Certificate of Exemption' for your dog following any court order.
Conditions of being on the IED
If your dog is put on the list it will have to be:
- kept on a lead and muzzled at all times when in a public place
- kept in a secure place so it can't escape
- insured against injuring third parties
You will have to pay for this.
As the owner you must:
take out insurance against your dog injuring other people
be over the age of 16 to own or be in charge of the dog
show the Certificate of Exemption when asked by a police officer or local council warden, either at the time or within five days
let the IED know if you permanently change address, or if your dog dies
The Certificate of Exemption is valid for the life of the dog - as long as the above conditions are met.
Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005.
Dog mess is an eyesore and a health hazard. If you are a dog owner, you have a legal duty to clean up every time your dog messes in a public place. Registered blind people are not required to clean up after their guide dogs. There is also exemption for dog owners on some kinds of public land, including:
- Land used for agriculture or woodlands
- Rural common land
- Land that is predominantly marshland, moor or heath
- Highways with a speed limit of 50mph or more
- Local Councils have the power to issue a dog control orders against a dog owner for offences relating to dogs including allowing a dog to foul in a public place.
- Councils can issue fixed penalty notices in relation to dog control orders. Where there is no local rate, the fixed penalty is £75.
- In very serious cases, magistrates can issue a maximum penalty of £1,000
Mosshaselhurst Solicitors in Northwich, Winsford and Wilmslow in Cheshire are experts in Dog Law. Please contact the team for friendly, sensible advice.
Northwich 01606 74301
Winsford 01606 592159
Wilmslow 01625 538816