BLOG – Changing a child’s name

In England and Wales a child’s name can be legally changed with the consent of every person who has parental responsibility of that child. In these circumstances it is usually a requirement that the consent of each person must be in writing.

If there is only one parent with parental responsibility a child’s name can be changed by that person alone by way of a change of name deed. In any other situation or, if the consent of any other person who has parental responsibility is not given in writing, then an application can be made to the court and an appropriate order can be made.

However, when a child reaches the age of 16, it is generally accepted that they can change their own name and they do not need the consent of their parents or guardians.

If you need any advice on any family law matter then contact one of our family law specialists David Bannister or Stephen Warburton at our Northwich office on 01606 74301.

We also offer fixed fees on many areas of family law issues. Please contact us for further information.