LANDLORDS BEWARE – CHARGING TENANTS
Did you know that from 1st June 2019 a Landlord cannot require a tenant to make certain payments in connection with a tenancy?
If you signed a Tenancy Agreement before 1st June 2019 the ban on fees will not apply even if your tenancy started after this date. Your landlord or agent will still be able to charge you fees until June 2020.
The only payments that can be charged are:
- the rent,
- a refundable tenancy deposit
- a refundable holding deposit (to reserve a property)
- payments to change the tenancy when requested by the tenant, capped at £50, or reasonable costs incurred if higher,
- payments associated with early termination of the tenancy, when requested by the tenant,
- payments in respect of utilities, communication services, TV licence and council tax; and
- a default fee for late payment of rent and replacement of a lost key/security device, where required under a tenancy agreement.
If you are a Landlord and you are unsure about what you can charge a Tenant or if you need any legal advice or assistance please contact us now on 01606 74301.